According to homethodology, Lavina, Montana has a population of around 600 people, making it a small rural town. The geography of the town is mostly flat plains with some rolling hills in the distance. It is located close to Billings, Montana, making it an ideal spot for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. The climate in Lavina is generally mild, but during the winter months temperatures can dip below zero degrees Fahrenheit.
The history of Lavina dates back to the late 1800s when settlers first arrived in the area. The town was founded by a group of ranchers and farmers who were looking for a place to settle down and raise their families. Over time, Lavina grew into a thriving community with many businesses, including a hotel, bank, newspaper office, post office, and general store.
Politically speaking, Lavina is part of Yellowstone County in Montana and falls under the jurisdiction of the state government. Residents are represented by two senators in Congress as well as one representative in the state legislature. In addition to this representation on a national level, there are also numerous local elected officials such as county commissioners and school board members that work hard to ensure that their constituents’ needs are met on an individual level.
The economy in Lavina is largely based on agriculture and ranching due to its location within Yellowstone County’s farming region. Livestock production makes up the majority of agricultural activity while other industries like lumbering also contribute significantly to local employment opportunities. There are also several small businesses located throughout town which provide goods and services for locals as well as visitors from out-of-town who come to enjoy all that Lavina has to offer.
Lavina has three schools: an elementary school which serves students from kindergarten through sixth grade; a middle school which serves students from seventh through ninth grade; and high school which serves students from tenth through twelfth grade. All three schools have received numerous awards over the years for their commitment to excellence in education and providing quality educational opportunities for their students.
Finally, some notable landmarks located near Lavina include Pompey’s Pillar National Monument (a sandstone pillar inscribed with William Clark’s signature), Pictograph Cave State Park (an archaeological site containing Native American petroglyphs), Pompey’s Tower (a stone lookout tower built by settlers during World War II), and Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area (a recreation area featuring scenic vistas along Bighorn River). All these places offer unique opportunities for visitors looking for something special while visiting or living near Lavina!
Population: 209. Estimated population in July 2020: 236 (+12.9% change)
Males: 99 (47.4%), Females: 110 (52.6%)
Golden Valley County
Zip code: 59046
Median resident age: 43.3 years
Median household income: $24,643
Median house value: $43,000
Races in Lavina:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.2%)
- Hispanic (3.3%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (34.0%), English (16.3%), Norwegian (12.9%), United States (9.6%), French (4.3%), Irish (3.8%).
Elevation: 3436 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Lavina, Montana is a small town located in the center of the state. With a population of just under 500 people, it is one of the smallest towns in Montana. Despite its small size, Lavina offers a peaceful and charming atmosphere for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of larger cities. The town has several local businesses that provide goods and services to its residents. These include a grocery store, hardware store, gas station, and an auto repair shop.
The cost of living in Lavina is fairly low compared to other areas in Montana. Housing prices are much lower than those found in larger cities, making it an attractive option for those looking to relocate or purchase vacation homes. Utilities such as water and electricity are also quite affordable, with many residents paying less than $100 per month for all their bills combined. Additionally, taxes are relatively low compared to other towns in the area due to the small population size. This makes living in Lavina very affordable for both families and individuals alike.
For population 25 years and over in Lavina
- High school or higher: 86.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.8%
- Unemployed: 6.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lavina town
- Never married: 22.2%
- Now married: 58.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 10.5%
- Divorced: 8.6%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +58 (+38.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Lavina:
- ROUNDUP MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; ROUNDUP, MT)
- DEACONESS BILLINGS CLINIC (about 50 miles; BILLINGS, MT)
- ST VINCENT HEALTHCARE (about 50 miles; BILLINGS, MT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Lavina:
- BILLINGS LOGAN INTL (about 45 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Abbreviation: BIL)
- YELLOWSTONE REGIONAL (about 123 miles; CODY, WY; Abbreviation: COD)
- GALLATIN FIELD (about 158 miles; BOZEMAN, MT; Abbreviation: BZN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Lavina:
- LAVINA (about 1 miles; LAVINA, MT; Abbreviation: 80S)
- RYEGATE (about 21 miles; RYEGATE, MT; Abbreviation: 8U0)
- ROUNDUP (about 30 miles; ROUNDUP, MT; Abbreviation: RPX)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lavina:
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BILLINGS (about 50 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Full-time enrollment: 3,105)
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BOZEMAN (about 144 miles; BOZEMAN, MT; Full-time enrollment: 10,380)
- RICKS COLLEGE (about 258 miles; REXBURG, ID; Full-time enrollment: 8,670)
- CASPER COLLEGE (about 297 miles; CASPER, WY; Full-time enrollment: 2,564)
- IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 343 miles; POCATELLO, ID; Full-time enrollment: 10,057)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA-MISSOULA (about 358 miles; MISSOULA, MT; Full-time enrollment: 11,112)
- BLACK HILLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 372 miles; SPEARFISH, SD; Full-time enrollment: 3,190)
Public high school in Lavina:
- LAVINA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 27; Location: 214 1ST ST EAST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Lavina:
- LAVINA SCHOOL (Students: 32; Location: 214 1ST ST EAST; Grades: PK – 06)
- LAVINA 7-8 (Students: 10; Location: 214 1ST ST EAST; Grades: 07 – 08)